The role of a marketer is constantly changing to adapt with the latest tools, strategies, and best practices. With digital marketing now spanning across such a diverse range of core areas, it can be difficult for marketers to understand which key skills they should focus on throughout their careers.
We have rounded up skills that are in demand in the industry based on the latest LinkedIn Report and we are focusing in this blog on three different types of digital marketing and their corresponding skills.
What are the Most in-demand Digital Marketing Skills?
1. CONTENT MARKETING
Content marketing is a marketing technique of creating and distributing valuable, relevant and consistent content to attract and acquire a clearly defined audience – with the objective of driving profitable customer action. For that definition to be realized, these are the most important skills
- Content research, including; keyword research, traffic forecasts, competitor analysis
- Competency in creating content across different formats – written, video, and audio content
- Strategic thinking – Being able to evaluate business goals and tailor an effective content strategy to achieve these outcomes
- A data-driven mindset, helping evaluate the tangible value that each piece of can content add to a business
2. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING
Social Media Marketing is the use of social media platforms to connect with your audience to build your brand, increase sales, and drive website traffic. Skills for this type of marketing include :
- Having a creative mindset and the skills to develop engaging content
- The ability to map user lifecycle journeys across both organic and paid social channels
- Understanding how to implement conversion tracking and identify clear attribution models
- Understanding how to analyze performance data and make data-driven decisions
- An understanding of how to build and engage communities
- Knowing how to collaborate with influencers or customers to drive user-generated content
As social media became popular, the industry heavily relied on both Facebook and Instagram. However as industry trends have changed, there’s been a rising demand for digital marketers who are competent across platforms like LinkedIn, TikTok and Pinterest.
If you wish to develop a detailed understanding of key social media specialisms including content marketing, and platforms on which you can promote your content, consider applying for the Professional Diploma in Social Media Marketing by the DMI to obtain a globally accredited certification in this fast-paced and in-demand field.
3. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION (SEO)
Search Engine Optimization is the practice of increasing both the quality and quantity of website traffic, as well as exposure to your brand, through non-paid (also known as “organic”) search engine results. The skill sets associated with SEO are as follows :
- Technical skills for schema markups, building sitemaps, and processing redirects
- Proficiency in local SEO
- The ability to write engaging content that can be used to improve on-page rankings
- Effective skills in building site backlinks
- The ability to analyze performance data for guiding benchmarks and strategies
- An understanding of new best practices as updates continuously evolve
A globally recognised diploma in SEO by the Digital Marketing Institute (DMI) will teach you the elements of search campaign planning, creation and measurement, along with an accredited certification to validate your new expertise.
If you wish to gain these skills and be job-ready, enrol today in one of our short DMI courses by clicking HERE.
Bye for now
Nikolina & Monalisa